Friday, March 4, 2016

Movies Seen: February 26-March 4, 2016

Since I only came up with this new capsule review column this morning, I don't have many films to list here (I have four half-watched on Netflix alone). I am hoping to post at least something every Friday detailing my film watching habits for the week before, as I finally pound out that screenplay that's been gestating in my mind for years, and catch up on films I "should have" seen by now. My goal is to have a screenplay entry in the Nicholl Fellowship competition by next January, so I'm not making any promises (to the ones of people reading this right now):

Deadpool (2016) proved something I have known for years: that Ryan Reynolds can have a huge hit. I've been watching him since he was a kid on a Canadian teen soap opera. His comic timing is impeccable, he is a handsome dude the camera loves, and he finally found a franchise that he can play in (and I'm the only person on the planet who didn't hate "Green Lantern"). The quips are non-stop, but while I know it's faithful to the comic book, the violence is stomach-churning. I suppose it has to be to earn the "R" rating, and the cast and screenplay lift this above mindless blood-for-blood's sake, but with all the real world violence happening in the world, sometimes you want a movie to take your mind off of it, not revel in it. Either way, I still gave this a 9 out of 10 on IMDB.


All Good Things (2010) has a nice sense of dread and a fantastic performance by Kirsten Dunst, but still feels like one of those network television mini-series based on a best selling true crime paperback that populated the airwaves in the 1980's. Ryan Gosling has the "weirdo" character down pat, but the third act feels rushed after slogging through the first hour of the film. The direction, and especially the musical score, are very good, and I gave this a grudging 7 out of 10 on IMDB, but I can see why this wasn't more successful considering the cast.


Soaked in Bleach (2015) makes the case that Nirvana singer Kurt Cobain was murdered in 1994, and the rush to deem his death a suicide was a conspiracy involving his wife Courtney Love, and the Seattle Police Department. Private investigator Tom Grant has audio tapes of himself talking with Love, and plenty of compelling evidence that should see the case reopened (although since much of the evidence has been destroyed over the years, I don't think any "findings" would hold up in court). The tapes and incidents are recreated well enough (although "The Arbor," this ain't), and any conspiracy theorist, and grunge rock fan, will want to give this a look. 7 out of 10 on IMDB.

No comments:

Post a Comment