Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Not a Review, An Appreciation: "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" (2002)

Forgive me if I do not try and retell the plot to this behemoth action fantasy. I was too busy not blinking for three hours while my jaw hung open.

Peter Jackson's brain should be examined. Where did this dwarf looking slacker get this incredible vision and attention to detail? This is not another director for hire, this is pure cinematic art from stop to finish.

This film should be trotted out for every studio head who ever decided Jerry Springer in "Ringmaster" was a good idea, or thought that EVERY SNL character deserved a ninety minute movie since a six minute skit worked once before. Someone needs to carry film canisters with this movie inside and knock on doors throughout Hollywood, and ask this question: "Do you see what film is capable of?"

I volunteer to run this out to Skywalker Ranch, with a note of explanation for Mister Lucas. Here is a film, also heavy with effects, that has actual characters that I cared about. It was more complicated than the politics of the new Star Wars films, yet I was taken along for the ride and forgot the little problems, i.e. the talking trees are the Ewoks for the new millennium.

"The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" has restored my faith in film, even in the face of previews for "Just Married" and "A Guy Thing." Ignoring the fact that the theater I saw this in smelled like the inside of my garbage can, I was lost for three hours, and exhausted afterward.

"The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" has also provided me with scads of nightmares for weeks to come thanks to just one character- Gollum. See this film, I know I regained something I thought I lost sitting through the crap I normally find myself reviewing. (* * * * *) out of five stars.